Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic AMX/3 transaxle for sale on e-bay (Read 4,881 times)
AMX-3 Forum Admin
AMX-3 Administrator

Enjoy

AMX/3 transaxle for sale on e-bay
Jan 25th, 2009 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
This is an ATA Melara 4 speed transaxle, 1 of 31, made in Italy in 1970 for the AMX/3 mid engine supercar developed my American Motors. Only 6 steel Bizzarrini built AMX/3ís are known to exist, so there were extra transaxles from the program. This original Italian ATA Melara Tipo 4MXPD 4 speed transaxle has the following gears 2.27 / 1.6 / 1.2 / .8 a 2 reverse, with a final drive ratio of 3.45 and uses a dry single plate clutch. I bought this item from Jim Jensen about 2 years ago, Mr Jensen bought it from Richard Teague who was the VP of styling for AMC. The story goes that when AMC wanted Bizzarrini in Italy to make the AMX/3 mid-engine supercars on a limited basis, there was no suitable transaxle available. They looked at the ZF transaxle, but it was too weak for the torque of the 390 V-8. So Bizzarrini worked with ATA Melara, an Italian defense contractor that was a subsidiary of Alpha Romeo to build these 4 speeds. The AMC 390 V-8 produced so much torque that 5 gears were not necessary, the 390 could power through 4 gears just fine. The gears are out of the Italian tank transmission, flipped upside down with a new case and set up for the AMC V-8. If you are one of the few luck people to own an AMX/3 (Dawkins, Jerry, Teague, Kirkland, Carl and Diamonte), this might be useful as a spare back up, since these transaxles donít come up for sale very often. There was one sold here on e-bay recently by a friend of mine and it went for $8,750 to the owner of an AMX/3. In my opinion that is were these transaxles belong, with the original AMX/3ís as spares. I own the original prototype fiberglass display body of the AMX/3 developed by AMC in Detroit and we now have reproduction bodies for replicas. The first chassis is nearing completion and I have decided to stick with the new Mendeola SDR 5 speed instead of using this nostalgic trans in the first one. www.amx390.com
The transaxle is at Mendeola Transaxles, I will go down this week to pick it up and will be able to answer any detailed questions. Mike Mendeola wanted to have a look at it since it is so rare. We never opened the case. I have listed it as used, but quite frankly I doubt if it was ever installed. The pictures of the AMX/3 cars are for reference only, I am not selling an entire car, just the transaxle. I can strap the transaxle to a pallet and deliver it to a shipping company of your choice in San Diego County at no additional charge. You pay shipping. Feel free to call me with any questions. Tom Dulaney (760) 295-0931
e-bay item 200302890002
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200302890002

IP Logged

AMX-3 Forum Admin
AMX-3 Administrator

Enjoy

Re: AMX/3 transaxle for sale on e-bay
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
This item has been relisted on e-bay

Item number 200313272269

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200313272269